Sunday, June 21, 2009

session 04-05

Session 04: Petco and Home Depot

Session 4 was kinda weak but I'm probably being unfair. We practiced off leash and "come" in Petco. I suppose for many dogs this is an impossible task. We even sprinkled dog biscuts on the floor. Marley does fantastic in heeling and coming to me from afar. Doesn't get distracted at all.

In front of home depot, just outside of the gardening area, we practiced off leash training. I can't remember or not if we practiced the moving down-- a down command in the middle of movement. At any rate, that was my homework. It was quite difficult.

Session 05: back to the park

On session 5 we brought 2 lab mixes with us to the dog park. We practiced stop, halt, and emergency down. Stop is exactly as it entails... dog comes to me and I tell him to stop and he stops in his tracks. I've been trying to practice this but I think it might be easier to use another person.

Halt is the reverse of stop. dog is running/walking away from you and you tell him to halt. this required 2 people. this will defintely require more work.

Moving down was surprisingly easy. Well... i'm still bridging the behavior. I call to Marley and i crouch down with my hands on the floor and tell him "down". That last part is key. By being near the ground is primes him to go in the down position. eventually we'll work on it without crouching. I've been playing this game with him lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment