Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Dog park day

What a day that was... 2 weeks ago? we took Marley to the dog park after approval from Suzanne at Sunny dog place. It was a good experience, though it felt like his favorite activity was smelling grass :) He did fine with most dogs but with two he yelped and backed off... he's so not aggressive, which brings me to another story when I took him to sunny dog place for the first time. Suzanne brought him with the other dogs and we were able to see how he would react. He was shy for a few minutes but then opened up and began sniffing and marking. And he actually growled to another dog. Though aggression shouldn't be praised I was actually happy to see some dominant behavior in him. The dog park took 30 min to walk there and we spent at least 40 mins there. He was quite tired on the way back.

After we got back we took him to get a bath at Tidy Dog. Overall it was a good experience. It was very convenient. It was only $15. we were totally paying for convenience but for our first bath it was good. Besides, the shampoo I ordered from 1800petmeds hadn't came in yet... and it was good to get advice from the people there. They also recommended i get a shedding blade and stop using the defurminator (esp w/o using the defurminator shampoo).

then on the evening walk our neighbor's dog, who happened to be off leash ran up at full speed and bit him. Marley yelped but the owner was able to get his dog off. We walked off in silence and I noticed Marley's tail was up so I guess it wasn't too bad. this incident disturbed us for quite some time. Neither of us knew how to react so I think we just kept walking and that actually turned out to be the best solution. I don't hate that dog. I'm disappointed in the neighbor. I hate to sound dog elitist but I've noticed so many poor dog owners. My neighbor's dogs are clearly not socialized. they bark at everything and they are never walked.

It was a long day but as Cesar says... dogs live in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment