Tuesday, December 30, 2008

First Dog


This blog is dedicated to my current dog and possibly any additional dogs. I'm primarily starting this as a way to document his life as I have recently found out that I talk and email alot about my dog.

My dog's name is Marley... as in Bob. My gf named him. We found him at a rescue (marley's pitstop) on petfinder.com and we brought him home on Nov 22nd. This is what the owner wrote back to my inquiry:

Thanks for your inquiry. The family are 3 of 15 dogs that were abandoned on a property in Lancaster that went in to foreclosure. The neighbors took care of the group for almost 9 months until someone alerted Animal Control. Rather than have them go to the pound where they almost certainly faced death, the neighbors put a sign out on the street *Free Dogs*
We saw the sign and offered to help.
Margie is in a foster to adopt home, Murray has an applicant coming to meet him on Saturday which if all goes well with the sniff and whiff, he will go home. Collin has a couple of people interested in him, but no submitted applications yet. We estimate Collin to be about 2 years as well. Probably brother to Margie & Murray. He is a very sweet dog and was the first to approach us with kisses. The dogs had been on their own for the 9 months, so were a bit hesitant and scared. They clearly had human interaction in the formative stages as humans are their friends. They tend to get a bit of confidence from other dogs - however, Murray & Collin didn't get along ?
Collin is very romantic and is a bit shy at first, but quickly warms up with affection and praise. They had never been on a leash, so we had to introduce them slowly. I am recommending the harness for them. At the abandoned home, they had indoor/outdoor access and we did see poop in the house, but with 15 it is hard to tell who was doing what. I would plan on committing 36 hours to retraining Collin. Collin is the leggier of the bunch and looks like a little deer. He likes to play with toys and go for walks - he doesn't bark a lot and is a really smart little guy.

Collin is Marley. I would say all of the above is true. he licked my face when I first met him. He would not walk on a leash and was totally catatonic when we brought him home. After 2-3 days he started to warm up to us. He is my first dog and we've become quite taken with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment